Saturday 7 September 2013

La Boqueria Market: Well, now that's ticked off the list...

La Boqueria market does have some great displays that are full of colour and exciting things. But it's not my sort of place.

I spent about ten minutes in the market with my sister last week, and I'm planning to keep my visit to just the one. Tourists may be crying out "Why? It's such an iconic part of Barcelona!", but I'm pretty sure most Catalans will agree with me on this.

Put simply,
  • It's crazily busy, you can't go in the direction you'd like to go, and you'd rather not have your purse stolen.
  • The logistics of buying anything seemed near-impossible to me. 
  • The produce didn't strike me as exceptional, and nothing seemed to be higher in quality than what could be purchased in a small, quiet greengrocers. 
La Boqueria is one of those places that you have to see once before ignoring for the rest of your stay. For me, there are so many other places that I'd like to visit, actually enjoy, and be able to take in and remember the atmosphere of. The views of Montserrat, the Parc del laberint d'Horta, and the mediaeval atmosphere of El Barri Gòtic; these are the sort of places I'd like to be experiencing instead. 

But, for now, here's a photo - courtesy of my sister's iPhone - that I can use as proof I've been!



No comments:

Post a Comment