Sunday 29 September 2013

Laie Pau Claris: The Perfect Bookshop/Cafe in Barcelona to Read With a Coffee


Back home in England it's a common affair to combine bookshops with cafés, and most Waterstones seem to feature a Costa or something similar. Here in Spain though, it still seems to be a growing trend. That's why I was so excited to hear about Laie Pau Claris in one of my guide books, a well-stocked and comprehensive bookshop that is also a café/restaurant. Yes, a restaurant. Are there many restaurant-bookshops in the UK? If so, I must visit one. 

A coffee and croissant while reading El País in Laie Pau Claris, Barcelona

But anyway, I'd been meaning to visit Laie Pau Claris ever since I arrived here in Barcelona, and the incentive grew stronger after I ended up buying my Salvador Espriu anthology from the Laie Pau Claris stall at La Setmana de Lliure en Català. I didn't realise this until I looked at the complementary bookmark they'd given me and saw the bookshop name, but this convinced me that I needed to visit.

Yesterday I left early, taking the Metro to Diagonal and then walking over to Pau Claris 85. This didn't make much sense, as the walk from my flat to Diagonal is probably the shortest part of the route, but the rest of the journey proved to be an enjoyable walk through Barcelona. If you are looking to get to Laie Pau Claris by Metro, I think the nearest station would be Passeig de Gracia. 

Image of Laie Pau Claris from thebarcelonanotebook.com

I sat upstairs in the first area you get to upon going up the stairs, mainly because I love sitting by windows. I was undisturbed for the hour or so I sat here, and I enjoyed an espresso for 1.50€ and a croissant for about 1€. I really liked both, so they certainly made the small bill worthwhile!

Afterwards I went downstairs and perused the books a little more (after of course doing this when I first went in), and I discovered a complete collection of León Felipe's poetry for 26€. I had been browsing the shelves particularly for Felipe's work, as, over the last few years, I've translated quite a bit of his work into English (my website for this is leonfelipeinenglish.blogspot.com). I knew I had to buy this, but after considering my lack of Erasmus grant and wages currently, I decided it could wait a week or so. 

Upstairs seating in the Laie Pau Claris café

On the whole, I'd love to come back to Laie for a coffee and a read most Saturdays if I can. It's such a great way to relax after a week of working, and they have all the major Catalan and Spanish newspapers on offer if I decide to do some language learning. 

If you're looking for a Barcelona bookshop that stocks English books, Laie Pau Claris seemed to have a decent range on offer too. I'll definitely be back! 



2 comments:

  1. I love bookshop-cafes, and this one looks so nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such a lovely place to sit! Definitely need to visit on weekends more :)

    ReplyDelete